French Onion Soup
- 2 1/2 lbs yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 TBS flour
- 7 cups boiling beef or veal stock
- 1/4 cup dry vermouth or dry white wine
- 1/5 cup cognac
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 French Baguette, sliced into 1\" pieces
- 2 cups coarsely grated Swiss and Parmesan cheeses, mixed
- Simmer the onions in butter and oil for 2 hours.
- Stir frequently, adding the sugar and salt after 15 min of cooking.
- Onions will turn a deep golden-brown color.
- Sprinkle on the flour and cook for 5 min longer.
- Add the boiling stock and the wine and simmer for 45 min longer.
- Skim if necessary.
- Correct the seasoning.
- Before serving reheat to boiling.
- Pour in the cognac.
- Serve in heated Onion Soup Bowls with toasted rounds of French bread and generous servings of grated Parmesan and Swiss cheeses.