Chloe Rosen's Recipe for French Onion Soup
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- 6 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup white wine
- 5 cups beef stock
- 3 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Dash of Kitchen Bouquet
- 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 12 slices crusty baguette
- Have on hand 6 heatproof soup bowls or crocks.
- In a heavy soup pot, melt the butter. Add the onions and shallots. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or until the onions are caramelized.
- Sprinkle the onion mixture with the flour. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until the flour is absorbed.
- Add the wine, stirring constantly, then the stock and water. When the mixture comes to a boil add the bay leaves, salt, pepper, and Kitchen Bouquet.
- Turn down the heat, cover the pot, and let the soup simmer for 1 more hour. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper, if you like.
- Set the oven at 400. Ladle the soup into the Onion Soup Bowls. Arrange 2 slices of baguette on top of each, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Set the bowls on a rimmed baking sheet. Cook the cheese until the top forms a golden crust.
- Adapted from Chloe Rosen.