Boston Baked Beans
- 1 lb (2 cups) dry navy beans
- 1 1/2 qts cold water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 lb salt pork
- 1 medium onion sliced
- Rinse beans; add to cold water in a sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil; simmer two minutes; remove from heat; cover, let stand 1 hour (or, add beans to water and let soak overnight).
- Add salt to beans and soaking water; cover and simmer until tender (about an hour).
- Drain beans, reserving liquid.
- Measure 1 3/4 cups bean liquid, adding water if needed. Combine with next four ingredients listed.
- Cut salt pork in half, score one-half, set aside. Grind or slice the remainder thinly.
- In your beanpot, alternate layers of beans, onion, ground salt pork and sugar mixture. Repeat. Top with scored pork.
- Cover; baked at 300 degrees for 5-7 hours. Add more liquid, if needed.